For thousands of years tattoos and the artists that create them have utilized their human canvases to tell tales of survival, love lost, life at sea and the weary road traveler. However, in recent years the art form, and the massive growth of artists behind it, has become accepted as part of the cultural mainstream. What was once frowned upon as something relegated to sailors, blue collar workers and the downtrodden has now become a widely sought-after form of art.
Curated by the Trenton Punk Rock Flea Market, BOLD WILL HOLD will showcase art by dozens of tattoo artists, as well as more traditional artists, who have been inspired by tattoo culture and the styles of art that have emerged from it.
This Call for Art is seeking tattoo artists and traditional artists alike, that create tattoo art or are inspired by tattoo culture.
Artists are asked to submit their original paintings, photography, mixed media, sculpture and other forms of original artwork. We will not accept digital images of finished tattoos.
The exhibition will run from October 25 – November 19, 2022. Opening Reception will be on November 4, 2022, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
NOTE TO ARTISTS:
Submitting to this form does NOT guarantee you a spot in the show. You will be notified if you are selected.
* August 1 – September 2, 2022: Open call for artists
* Sunday September 11, 2022: Registration Deadline
* Friday September 16, 2022: Acceptance/regret letters will go out via email (make sure to check the email you registered with)
* October 18-22, 2022 – All works must be dropped off or received between 11am-5pm. Artists mailing work will receive additional shipping instructions. Please indicate if you are mailing your works in when you submit your form.
* Friday November 4, 2022 – Opening reception for BOLD WILL HOLD: Art of the Counterculture, 6-9pm
* November 22-23, 2022: Works picked up at Artworks Trenton