The electric vehicle (EV) charging stations that the County of Mercer has installed at 11 of its facilities are now open and available for public use.
“The availability of additional charging stations around Mercer County will benefit electric vehicle owners and, we hope, help reduce the ‘range anxiety’ that might prevent other consumers from investing in electric vehicles,” Mercer County Executive Brian Hughes said. “This initiative will also help raise awareness about the environmental benefits of gasoline alternatives as we further our commitment to increasing sustainable practices throughout the County.”
The cost of purchasing and installing the 11 dual-port, Level 2 ChargePoint Chargers was offset in part by an $88,000 grant from the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) Pay$ to Plug In Program as part of Gov. Phil Murphy’s commitment to reduce greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to the harmful effects of climate change. Pay$ to Plug In was designed to expand the state’s growing network of electric vehicle infrastructure, allowing residents, businesses and government agencies to purchase and drive electric vehicles. Eligible costs include those necessary for, and directly related to, the acquisition, installation, operation and maintenance of new EV charging stations. The County is pursuing funding to offset the remaining cost of the total $393,827 project.
Level 2 charging adds about 10 to 20 miles of range to a plug-in electric vehicle per hour of charging time. The cost for EV users is $1 per hour for the first four hours of charging time, and then $5 per each additional hour until the vehicle is fully charged. Download the ChargePoint App via the Apple App Store or Google Play or visit https://www.chargepoint.com/drivers to sign up for a ChargePoint account.
On recommendation of the County Planning Department, the new ChargePoint charging stations were installed and are now available for public use at the following County-owned locations. The charging stations are available 24/7 except where noted.
- Boathouse at Mercer Lake, 334 South Post Road, West Windsor
- Hopewell Valley Golf Course, 114 Pennington-Hopewell Road, Hopewell
- Mercer County Administration Building, 640 South Broad St., Trenton
- Mercer County Improvement Authority, 80 Hamilton Ave., Trenton
- Mercer County Office Park, 1440 Parkside Ave, Ewing
- Mercer County Technical Schools Assunpink Center, 1085 Old Trenton Road, Hamilton; Sept. 1 – June 30, Monday-Thursday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Friday, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.; July 1 – Aug. 31, Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Mercer County Technical Schools Sypek Center, 129 Bull Run Road, Ewing; Sept. 1 – June 30, Monday-Thursday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Friday, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.; July 1 – Aug. 31, Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Mercer Meadows (Hunt House), 197 Blackwell Road, Hopewell Township; 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. (Will be adjusted to 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. after daylight-saving time ends.)
- Mercer Oaks Golf Course, 725 Village Road West, West Windsor
- Mountain View Golf Course, 850 Bear Tavern Road, Ewing
- Princeton Country Club, 1 Wheeler Way, West Windsor