As we protect ourselves and others from the disastrous virus known as COVID-19, the same personal protective equipment we use as a guard to staying healthy is now surprisingly non-recyclable. That’s right, the numerous face masks and latex gloves that we equip ourselves with are being littered all over the grounds, as well as being thrown in recycling and trash bins only to build up waste, causing more destruction in the environment.
As an action item from World Environment Day om June 5th, the community has been assigned the task of halting the destruction of biodiversity in environments with wasteful products, and to rethink the relationship between humans and nature. Trenton-based TerraCycle, the world’s leader in innovative waste management, has come up with a big idea to encourage recycling, especially with materials that may be difficult to recycle.
TerraCycle’s Zero Waste Boxes is a great initiative and recycling solution for all types of single-use personal protective equipment that is not recyclable through traditional facilities. With the idea of placing these boxes in public places, such as grocery stores, and parks, TerraCycle believes that these waste boxes will motivate more individuals to safely and responsibly dispose of face masks, and other protective equipment, instead of sending them to the trash or tossing them on the floor.
“During this time of uncertainty, our Zero Waste Box program provides easy solutions for keeping waste out of landfills and paving the way for a greener future,” says Tom Szaky, CEO and founder of TerraCycle. “Our goal is for all consumers to engage with TerraCycle recycling programs in a safe manner.”
To recycle personal protective equipment, TerraCycle offers the following waste boxes:
- Safety Equipment and Protective Gear Zero Waste Boxes – to recycle disposable safety gear including garments, gloves, masks, and safety glasses.
- Disposable Garments Zero Waste Box – to recycle chemical protection suits, flame resistant suits, and smocks.
- Disposable Gloves Zero Waste Box – to recycle vinyl, nitrile, and latex gloves.
- Disposable Masks Zero Waste Box – to recycle surgical and industrial face masks.
For larger recycling options, TerraCycle offers Zero Waste Pallets as followed:
- Safety Equipment and Protective Gear Zero Waste Pallet
- Disposable Garments Zero Waste Pallet
- Disposable Gloves Zero Waste Pallet
Once boxes are full, they can be sent to TerraCycle where materials will be properly processed, and collected waste will be cleaned and remolded to make new products. A great way to encourage easy recycling habits, while keeping our environments healthy.
For more information, visit: www.terracycle.com.